Nearest town: Aboyne
- Grid Ref: NJ568015
- Postcode: AB34 5BD
- Lat/Lon: 57.10167,-2.71530
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS)
- Bing Map (OS)
Pre Event Info
The event focuses on the southern part of the map which remains predominantly wooded. Where courses venture into the restocked clearfell areas to the north, please be aware that the conifers and other vegetation have grown rapidly and some of the green hatched open areas on the map are now more likely to be light or dark green – paths may be the sensible route choice in these areas!
Grid Ref: NJ 56755 01430
Postcode: AB34 5BD
Lat/Lon: 57.101798, -2.7154416
Directions / Parking
Parking for the event will be at the Deeside Activity Park, by kind permission of Ken Howie. Please remember that this car park is primarily for customers of the activity park and associated businesses, which will be open at the time. Please park neatly and consider car sharing to avoid taking up too much space and we would encourage our members to visit Ally B’s restaurant and farm shop after their run (Sunday carvery available).
Registration and download will be near the tank at the south-east corner of the car park. All competitors must register before going to the start and must visit download even if you don't finish your course.
Registration & Start Times
Registration opens at 10.30am
Starts from 11am to 1pm
Course closes at 2.30pm
The walk to and from the start and finish will be approximately 400 m up the track to the south-east. Please note that the first part of the track (between the two gates) crosses an area used for mountain biking coaching so take care and watch for bikes crossing the track.
Please be aware of, and courteous towards, other forest users as the area is well used by walkers, horse riders and mountain bikers.
Waterproofs and whistle may be compulsory depending on the weather.
Green 4.5 km / 140 m climb
Orange 2.9 km / 100 m climb
White 1.7 km / 55 m climb
Map 1:7,500 (Deeside Orienteering and Leisure Maps) 2018 with updates in 2022
Control descriptions will be printed on the map.
There is maintenance work scheduled to be carried out along the Deeside Way within the forest. The route will remain open but be aware that there may be drainage work underway on parts of it, so please obey signage and direction from any contractors on site.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Entry £5 for Senior and £2.50 for junior and student.
£1 for SI hire.
There are no allocated start times and a punching start will be in operation.
Nearest Public Toilets are by the Victory Hall in Aboyne and by Kincardine O’Neil village hall. Please avoid using the customer toilets at the Activity Centre restaurant unless you are a customer.
Dogs should be kept under control.
Contacts / Officials
Planner: Cat Chapman
Organiser: Paul Chapman
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Participants in orienteering should be aware of the risk of tick bites - more information here.
SPORTident timing will be used
Please note that a lost hire SI-Card will be charged for at a rate of £30, unless the Club Commitee agrees that there are special circumstances.
When entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.