Nearest town: Banchory
- Grid Ref: NO60659715
- Postcode: AB31 4BE
- Lat/Lon: 57.06370,-2.65026
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS)
- Bing Map (OS)
Pre Event Info
If you think that you are probably coming to the event, and have a fair idea of which course you would like to run, please fill in the form which can be found HERE by Friday evening 13th January. Please fill out a separate form for each person coming.
Having an idea of numbers intending to come along will help us with map ordering and car parking on the day. You just come along to registration at the event, pay for your run and pick up a dibber, if hiring one. A map will be reserved for you up until mid-day on Sunday.
Please note that this is not a full pre-entry. It’s entirely on a “no obligation” basis and no charge will be made if you cannot come to the event. No money is being taken in advance. This is just a way of simplifying and speeding up the process of runner registration.
If you change your mind, and decide on the morning of the event to run a different course, that’s fine. Still come to registration, tell us what course you would like to run, and, if there is a map available, we will change your entry.
If something comes up and you cannot come to the event after all, that’s absolutely fine too. There is no need to email to let us know, and no apologies or explanations are necessary!
If you choose not to use early registration, you can still register and enter in the standard way at the event, subject to map availability.
Directions / Parking
The registration will be on the Green at Potarch. Nearest Postcode is AB31 4BE.
Grid reference NO 606971
Lat/Lon is 57.06370 , -2.65026
Parking will be in the adjacent public car park.
Registration & Start Times
Please could all competitors register here before going to the start and for download even if you don't finish your course.
Registration opens at 10.30am
Starts from 11am to 1pm
Course closes at 2.30pm
The walk to the start for the White course is 150m from registration and is on good paths. The start for all other courses is about 1.5km from registration, around half on good track and the rest on fairly rough extraction lanes. You should allow around 30 minutes to walk to this start. This start also shares part of the Orange/Yellow/White courses for the first 200m or so, please try not to obstruct any competitors you may encounter on this section.
Waterproofs and whistle may be compulsory depending on the weather. Please be aware of other forest users, there are usually a few dog walkers in this area.
White 1.3 km, 15m climb
Yellow 2.1 km, 20m climb
Orange 3.1 km, 55m climb
Light Green 3.6 km, 80m climb
Green 3.9 km, 120m climb
Blue 5.9 km, 150m climb
Brown 7.8 km, 225m climb
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Entry £7 for Senior, £3.50 for junior and student. £1.50 for SI hire
There are no allocated start times and a punching start will be in operation.
There is a public toilet in the car park at Potarch
Contacts / Officials
Planner: Andrew McMurtrie (MAROC)
Organiser: Alan Bennett (MAROC)
Controller: David Esson (GRAMP)
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Participants in orienteering should be aware of the risk of tick bites - more information here.
SPORTident timing will be used
Please note that a lost hire SI-Card will be charged for at a rate of £30, unless the Club Commitee agrees that there are special circumstances.
When entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.