Nearest town: Aboyne
- Grid Ref: NO 585951
- Postcode: AB31 6NY
- Lat/Lon: 57.03126,-2.65491
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS)
- Bing Map (OS)
Pre Event Info
Corsedarder is well known to many but the courses for this DNC will start from the less used, south side of the hill, taking in some beautiful open, runnable forest untouched by last winter’s storms. Both courses take in a mixture of forest and open hillside, and are of TD5 standard.
Directions / Parking
Parking will be at Finzean Primary School AB31 6NY.
There is space behind and to the side of the old school building as well as in the main car park.
Registration & Start Times
Starts/Registration 18:00 – 19:00
Courses close 20:00
Starts will be available from 6pm til 7pm. Courses close at 8pm.
There will be 2 courses available:
Long – 4.8km 230m climb
Short – 2.9km 140m climb
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Seniors £5, Juniors £2.50.
Please note that as there is no phone signal it will be cash only.
The start and finish will be across the main Finzean to Aboyne road, and will involve walking along the road for about 50m. Please take great care and look out for traffic. There are a handful of houses beside the road – please try not to disturb anyone.
Part of each course is on the open hill. Please dress appropriately especially if the weather is poor.
Mobile reception is very poor at Finzean School, so contacting the Organiser by phone may not work. It is recommended that you carry a whistle in order to attract attention should calamity strike.
Contacts / Officials
Organiser: Sue Barrie
Planner: Adam Barrie
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Participants in orienteering should be aware of the risk of tick bites - more information here.
SPORTident timing will be used
Please note that a lost hire SI-Card will be charged for at a rate of £30, unless the Club Commitee agrees that there are special circumstances.
When entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.