Nearest town: Banchory
- Grid Ref: NO 710965
- Postcode: AB31 5ZT
- Lat/Lon: 57.06059,-2.47946
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS)
- Bing Map (OS)
Pre Event Info
Carrying a spare torch is mandatory. You are advised to also carry a whistle, additional warm clothing and a mobile phone.
Check here and on the DNC Blog website for updates to locations and event details etc. before travelling.
Directions / Parking
Parking in the main car park of Hill of Banchory Primary School, AB31 5ZT. What3words angel.range.nightcap.
Registration & Start Times
Registration in the school car park.
Starts: 18.00 - 19.00
Courses close at 20.00.
The start and finish will be within 100 metres of the car park.
Long (5.1km, 23 controls)
Short (3.1km, 11 controls)
Course lengths are straight line distances but as these are urban courses with many impassable boundaries, optimal running distances will be longer (estimated at c.7km for long and c.4km for short).
Courses have been planned to avoid major road crossings. Route choice may involve running on the pavement alongside major roads (A93, Raemoir Road, Hill of Banchory West and East) but there should be no need to cross any of these roads. Courses will cross Hill of Banchory South. Access to the start and routing of the short course has been planned to allow use of zebra crossings. However, care must be taken crossing this (and other residential roads) and under-16s should be accompanied to ensure their safety.
Although this is an urban event and street lighting will be present in many areas, courses will visit unlit wooded areas so head torches still required! Please be respectful of other people using the area, and of people’s privacy in their houses.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Entry on the night 'by punch' of your SI Card. Hire SI Cards available.
Cost: £5.00 senior, £2.50 junior and full-time student. £1.00 SI Card hire.
Card payment should be possible but cash back-up advised.
Contacts / Officials
Planner/Organiser: Catriona Chapman
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Participants in orienteering should be aware of the risk of tick bites - more information here.
SPORTident timing will be used
Please note that a lost hire SI-Card will be charged for at a rate of £30, unless the Club Commitee agrees that there are special circumstances.
When entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.