Nearest town: Ballater
- Grid Ref: NO 415972
- Lat/Lon: 57.06260,-2.96841
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS)
- Bing Map (OS)
Pre Event Info
Directions / Parking
Parking will be signposted off the B976 South Deeside Road from Dinnet to Ballater. Parking is very limited due to the Cambus O’May bridge not being in use since the storm damage and all cars MUST be parked on the south side of the river. We are restricted to parking on narrow forest tracks which will be a squeeze. Please car share if possible and, if it’s wet, a 4x4 might be a good idea!
Registration & Start Times
Registration: 10:30 to 12:30
Starts: 11:00 to 13:00
Courses Close: 14:30
Middle distance style courses in a super area. Lots of squiggly brown lines. Mixture of plantation pine with brashings, and semi open faster underfoot.
Uncrossable fenced area, so important that mandatory crossing points are used (3 open gates plus one solid style).
Both the Blue and Brown (and possibly, although unlikely, green) courses cross an electric fence - it is NOT live. Blue course will use a stile for mandatory fence crossing.
Light green 3.0km
Distance to start- up to 500m
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
If you think you are probably coming to the event and have a fair idea of which course you would like to run, please email your name, BOF number and course to by 2pm on Saturday 19th March.
To help us filter the emails, please put EEE in the subject line for the email.
For those who send in an early email entry, you just come to registration at the event, pay for your run, and pick up a timing brikke. There is no need to complete an entry slip. A map will be reserved for you up until 12 noon on Sunday.
Please note that this is not a full pre-entry. There is no obligation, and no charge will be made if you cannot come to the event. If you change your mind on the day of the event and decide to run a different course that is fine. Simply come to registration and if there is a map available we will change your entry. There is no need to let us know if for some reason you cannot come to the event.
If you choose not to EEE, you can still register and enter in the standard way on Sunday morning.
Senior Non-BOF member £7
Senior BOF member £5, Junior BOF member £2.50
Please be aware of other forest users, and stay away from any timber stacks in the competition area.
Full leg cover is required due to ticks, please check yourself for ticks after your run.
Sorry, strictly no dogs in forest or parking area.
Contacts / Officials
Planner: Andy Tivendale
Organisers: Craig Chapman
Controller: Rob Hickling
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
SPORTident timing will be used
Please note that a lost hire SI-Card will be charged for at a rate of £30, unless the Club Commitee agrees that there are special circumstances.
When entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.