Nearest town: Aboyne
- Grid Ref: NO 6065 97
- Postcode: AB31 4BE
- Lat/Lon: 57.06071,-2.65328
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS)
- Bing Map (OS)
Pre Event Info
Please ensure that you are dressed appropriately for the weather conditions and are wearing suitable footwear. In case of bad weather cagoules and whistles may be compulsory.
Other members of the public such as dog walkers and cyclists may be present in the woods so please be cautious and considerate.
The White course will have sections which are not on paths. Theses legs will be marked with tapes.
Directions / Parking
Parking at the car park beside the green at Potarch (AB31 4BE). Car parking is limited so please park neatly or consider car sharing.
Registration & Start Times
Registration will be located at the car park beside the green at Potarch, AB31 4BE.
Registration Times: 10:30 - 12:30
Start Times: 11:00 - 13:00
Courses Close at: 14:30
Courses from white to brown:
White - 1.4km, 20m climb * sections not on paths will be marked with tapes
Yellow - 2.2km, 50m climb
Orange - 3.0km, 75m climb
Light green - 3.5km, 80m climb
Green - 4.0km, 105m climb
Blue - 6.2km, 145m climb
Brown - 7.1km, 165m climb
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Entry Fees: Senior £5.00 (£7.00 for non BOF members), Seniors running Light Green & below £2.50, Juniors £2.50.
Early Entry System (guarantee a map and avoid the queue!)
To guarantee a map until 12 noon, if you think you are coming to the event, please email your name, BOF number (if applicable) and course to by 12noon on Saturday 18th March. Please put EEE in the subject line for the email filter.
For those who send in an early email entry, there is no need to complete an entry slip at registration. Just go to the Early Entry desk, pay for your run, and pick up a timing brikke.
Please note that this is not a full pre-entry. There is no obligation, and no charge will be made if you cannot come along.
If you decide to run a different course on the day that’s fine. Simply come to registration and as long as there’s map available we will change your entry.
There’s no need to let us know if you can’t make it.
If you choose not to EEE, you can still register and enter in the standard way at the event.
Punch Type: Emit
Soup, hot drinks and home bakes will be on sale to raise funds for Aboyne Academy’s boys team who are going to the World Schools Orienteering Championships in Sicily in April.
Dogs on leads only
Contacts / Officials
Controller: Donald Grassie
Planners: Matthew Gooch (assisted by Dan Gooch)
Organiser: Andrew McMurtrie ()
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Participants in orienteering should be aware of the risk of tick bites - more information here.
SPORTident timing will be used
Please note that a lost hire SI-Card will be charged for at a rate of £30, unless the Club Commitee agrees that there are special circumstances.
When entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.