Nearest town: Ballater
- Grid Ref: NO373955
- Postcode: AB35 5GQ
- Lat/Lon: 57.04648,-3.03504
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS)
- Bing Map (OS)
Pre Event Info
Pannanich is a classic Deeside area used for Day 1 in the Scottish 6-Days Royal Deeside 1983 event. It has been little used recently but the map has been updated in 2023 by Deeside Orienteering and Leisure Maps to take account of vegetation changes and the minor recent storm damage.
The area comprises the steep valley side rising south of the village of Ballater and the open and sparsely wooded moor above. There is abundant rock and contour detail with variable degrees of runability.
Thanks to Forest and Land Scotland and The Glenmuick Estate for access permissions.
Directions / Parking
Field just over the bridge and left on the B976. On entering Ballater from the east turn left, rather than right up the main street. Go over the bridge and turn left. Entrance to the field will be marked.
Registration & Start Times
Please could all competitors check-in at Registration before going to the start and please remember to download at the same place after your course even if you don't finish it.
Registration opens at 10.30am
Starts from 11am to 1pm
Course closes at 2.30pm
No start time allocations - just turn up at the start and the start official will set you off at an appropriate gap from others running the same course.
Waterproofs and whistle may be compulsory depending on the weather. Please be aware of other forest users.
The following courses are available:
- Brown: 7.2km 475m
- Blue: 6.0km 325m
- Green: 4.6km 225m
- Light Green: 3.4km 180m
- Orange: 2.6km 125m
- Yellow: 1.9km 100m
- White: 1.2km 75m
SIAC activated with a punching start and finish.
Please remember to download even if you don't complete your course.
Sheep have recently been in the field so be aware.
For more information on orienteering click here.
For more information on course suitability click the link below:
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Closing date midnight Sunday 10th September 2023.
The link above will take you to a pre-entry form. Completing this guarantees that a map will be held for you until mid-day on the day of the event. You will need to complete one form per person. Submitting entries this way helps the organiser and event volunteers. You pay at the event at Registration but if you pre-enter and cannot attend you will not be charged. Entry on the day may be possible depending on map availability.
Entry £7 for Seniors £3.50 for Juniors and Students. £1.50 for SI hire
Public toilets available nearby, behind the church in the main Ballater car park.
Contacts / Officials
Planner: Ranolph Whitehead (MAROC)
Organiser: Bob Sheridan (MAROC)
Controller: Paul Duley (GRAMP)
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Participants in orienteering should be aware of the risk of tick bites - more information here.
SPORTident timing will be used
Please note that a lost hire SI-Card will be charged for at a rate of £30, unless the Club Commitee agrees that there are special circumstances.
When entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.