Nearest town: Logie Coldstone, Aboyne
- Grid Ref: NJ 432022
- Postcode: AB34 5LY
- Lat/Lon: 57.109195,-2.945048
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS)
- Bing Map (OS)
Pre Event Info
After spoiling your mum with flowers, chocolates and breakfast in bed! Why not bring her along to Redburn for a morning of orienteering?
Redburn is a lovely area of mixed open moorland and woodland to the north of Dinnet Muir. There are good contour features throughout as well as a lot of rock detail on higher slopes. It was last used for orienteering in 2011 and will provide a fresh and enjoyable challenge to all.
"Early Email Entry" (EEE) System
If you think that you are probably coming to the event, and have a fair idea of which course you would like to run, please email your name, BOF number and course to: , by 4pm on 29th March 2014.
To help us filter the emails, please put EEE in the subject line for the email. For those who send in an early email entry, you just come to registration at the event, pay for your run and pick up a timing brikke. (There is no need to complete an entry slip.) A map will be reserved for you up till 12 noon on Sunday. Please note that this is not a full Pre-entry. It's entirely on a "no obligation" basis and no charge will be made if you cannot come to the event. No money is being taken in advance. This is simply a way of simplifying and speeding up the process of runner registration. If you change your mind, and decide on the morning of the event to run a different course, that's fine. Still come to the registration, tell us what course you would like to run and, if there is a map available, we will change your entry. If something comes up, and you cannot come to the event after all, that's absolutely fine too. There is no need to email to let us know, and no apologies or explanations are necessary! Anyone who chooses not to make an early email entry will not be disadvantaged - everyone is still welcome to register for a course in the standard way on Sunday morning.
Directions / Parking
Travelling west on the A93 (Aberdeen to Ballater road) after Dinnet, turn right on the B9119 then turn left signposted Raebush. Parking is off a single track road on the right hand side.
Parking is quite restricted, please car share where possible. The car park has steep sided sand banks, please ensure children do not play on them.Route to start/finish crosses a minor road, all children to be supervised.
In the event of bad weather, please bring your whistles and cagoules in case we have to enforce a “no whistle & cagoule, no go” policy.
White- 1.7km, 40m
Yellow - 2.0km, 50m
Orange - 2.9km, 75m
Light green - 3.7km, 115m
Green - 4.3km, 120m
Blue - 6.2km, 235m
Brown - 7.8km, 310m
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Timing will be by EMIT brikke
Please note that lost brikkes will be charged for at £45 unless the Club Commitee agrees there are special circumstances.
When entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.