Nearest town: Johnshaven
- Grid Ref: NO803677
- Postcode: DD10 0HN
- Lat/Lon: 56.79962,-2.32679
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS)
- Bing Map (OS)
Pre Event Info
Directions / Parking
Lathallan School has a one-way road system through the School grounds. You MUST enter the site via the A92 entrance (NO801680) The courses cross this road just before you pass in front of the school. PLEASE DRIVE WITH CAUTION.
Parking is at what3words https://what3words.com/talent.illogical.waffle which is into the main Lathallan School entrance from the A92, and then follow the road down the hill past the Castle (School). Follow the road around a sunken gardens on the left, and parking is next left behind the Science building. PLEASE KEEP SLOW THROUGH THE SCHOOL GROUNDS. IT IS A PRIVATE ROAD, BUT ALL COURSES CROSS THIS ROAD EARLY ON THEIR ROUTES !!!
Registration & Start Times
Starts from 6pm - 7pm. Courses close 8pm.
We have kindly been offered access to the pavilion building beside the parking. I will be somewhere inside taking entries, download will be here too. PLEASE REMOVE DIRTY OR SPIKED ORIENTEERING SHOES BEFORE ENTERING.
LONG COURSE - 4.2km (under 16s MUST be accompanied by an adult)
SHORT COURSE - 3.2km (under 16s MUST be accompanied by an adult)
ORANGE COURSE - 1.5km (stays within School grounds, suitable for kids)
Long and Short courses start in the grounds of Lathallan School, then make their way into the village of Johnshaven before returning to the School grounds. Since the courses were planned for night racing back in the Autumn there has been a noticeable growth in foliage and this might make it a little stingy in places... legwear choice is down to competitor preference.
Some of the narrow steps / lanes can be pretty slippery as they are a bit overgrown in parts, take it easy on them.
Long courses pass through a gate (that was open when courses planned ahead of November event). There is space to nip over a wee fence at the side but please take care, or just open / close the gate as it leads to a private house.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Seniors £5 and Juniors/Students £2.50
Contacts / Officials
Organiser: Ali Robertson
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Participants in orienteering should be aware of the risk of tick bites - more information here.
SPORTident timing will be used
Please note that a lost hire SI-Card will be charged for at a rate of £30, unless the Club Commitee agrees that there are special circumstances.
When entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.