Nearest town: Banchory
- Grid Ref:
- Postcode: AB31 4HU
- Lat/Lon: 57.05729,-2.52096
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS)
- Bing Map (OS)
Pre Event Info
Registration is outside the Pavilion, there is no need to visit registration upon arrival. Maps and Hire SI chips will be available to pick up at the Start which will be signposted from the parking area.
To encourage Social distancing, please keep to the left on any roads/paths on way to start, download or car parking. Queuing for download will be on the grass area/cricket pitch to allow plenty room to observe the 2m rule.
Courses available are White, Yellow, Orange, Light Green and planner Jon Musgrave’s special Turquoise Course (a combination of Long Green & Short Blue)!
Start Times are in 10-minute start blocks which will be advised via email on 31 December. The walk to the start is approximately 400m, please allow for time to get there.
A small part of the White and Yellow courses is along a quiet public road. A route for runners will be taped off for safety and the road will be marshalled, however parents of young participants may wish to shadow their children on their course. We would ask that those entering White/Yellow courses enter in the Middle Start Block on the Google Form.
The nearest Toilets are at the Bellfield Car Park, Banchory. AB31 5XS.
Directions / Parking
Car parking is at the Burnett Park, Banchory, AB31 5HU. The event will be signposted from the junction of the A93 with the Torphins/Glassel Road to the West of Banchory. Parking will be by the Tennis Courts, please follow the guidance of our parking marshalls.
what3words: denote.horses.slurping (car park)
Registration & Start Times
Starts from 11 am to 1pm Courses close at 2.30pm
Your 10 min start time slot will be emailed to you on 31 December. There is no need to visit registration prior to your run. Please arrive at the start during your allocated start slot and maintain social distancing guidelines at all times.
All competitors must punch both the ‘Clear’ and ‘Check’ stations before starting.
Hire SI cards will be available at the start in named envelopes with a separate bin for placing discarded envelopes. Contactless punching will be activated for this event. Maps to be picked up after you have started.
The Download unit will be back at the Burnett Park under the Pavilion canopy. You must punch the download to finish and let the organiser know you have returned from your run.
If download is busy, please queue on the grass/cricket pitch opposite to allow plenty room for safe distancing.
- White - 1.8km 30m (please request Middle Start Block on Google Form)
- Yellow - 2.0km 45m as above
- Orange - 2.4km 70m
- Light Green - 3.6km 130m
- Turquoise - 5.4km 180m (Long Green/Short Blue :-))
Start for all courses is 400m with 15m climb along good tracks. Finishes are close to the pavilion (about 50m).
Please note: Control Descriptions will not be provided.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Entries are now open and will close on Sunday 27th at 10pm.
Pre-entry only by 10pm Sunday 27th December using Google form https://forms.gle/qaQ6G29BWZ54fyZT7
A separate form needs to be completed for each individual / family member entering.
Charges for each course will be £5 for adults and £2.50 for Juniors/Students/Adults on Yellow course.
Payment will be by email invoice. Bank transfer is the preferred method of payment.
Subject to Scottish Government COVID rules in operation on the day of the event, as well as Scottish Orienteering’s COVID rules.
A Covid Risk Assessment will be completed for the event.
- All participants need to take note of the following important information:
- If you're displaying one or more Covid-19 symptoms you must not attend.
- If you are in Covid-19 quarantine you must not attend.
- People in higher risk categories as set out by the government should be aware that attending could put you at increased risk.
- The 2 metre rule applies at all times, including at controls, so please move away from controls as soon as you have punched and wait if someone else is at the control when you arrive.
- Please give way to other non-orienteering members of the public, including walkers and cyclists.
- Please keep young children with you at all times.
- Please do not congregate at the start, finish, download or car park. The official British Orienteering guidance is to go directly from the finish (download) to your transport, and to leave the event once all members of the party have returned.
- By taking part you agree to British Orienteering’s code of conduct
Other things that will be different from normal local events:
- Please use the hand sanitiser provided at the start and at the finish
- No splits printout will be issued on finishing – results will go online soon after the event.
- Please avoid touching the controls.
- Avoid unnecessary contact with fences and gates.
- We won’t have a communal car key drop box.
Contacts / Officials
Planner: Jon Musgrave
Organiser: Pat Graham
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Participants in orienteering should be aware of the risk of tick bites - more information here.
SPORTident timing will be used
Please note that a lost hire SI-Card will be charged for at a rate of £30, unless the Club Commitee agrees that there are special circumstances.
When entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.