Nearest town: Banchory
- Grid Ref:
- Lat/Lon: 57.05689,-2.52115
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS)
- Bing Map (OS)
Pre Event Info
All proceeds from the event will go towards the cost of sending 6 local juniors to the World Schools Orienteering Championship in Estonia in April 2019.
The courses have been planned by Catriona Chapman and Ewan Musgrave with a little help from their parents, and the Controller is Sam Griffin also assisted by dad Tim. Charlotte Reynolds, Jonas Newey and Adam Barrie are the other three juniors who have been selected and who will also be helping to run the event.
Soup, chilli, bread, home bakes and hot drinks will be on sale in the pavilion. Please reduce waste by bringing your own mug. The event will also mark the launch of the World Schools raffle. Tickets £1 a strip. Look out for a host of tempting prizes. The raffle will be drawn on 24th February at the Birsemore SOL.
Directions / Parking
Parking in Burnett Park on western edge of Banchory. Signposted off the A93. Please park tidily so that everyone can fit in.
Registration & Start Times
Registration from 10.30, and from 11.00 - 12.30.
Courses close at 14.30.
White 1.7km 30m climb
Yellow 2.5km 40m climb
Orange 3.1 km 55m climb
Light Green 3.6km 105m climb
Green 4.5km 120m climb
Blue 6.1km 155m climb
Brown 7.7km 175m climb
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Event fees: £5.00 adult (£7.00 for non BOF members), £2.50 junior.
Seniors running Light Green & below £2.50.
EEE entry is available:
If you think that you are probably coming to the event, and have a fair idea of which course you would like to run, please email your name, BOF number, and course to: , by 12 noon on Saturday 5th January.
To help us filter the emails, please include EEE in the subject line of the email.
For those who send in an early email entry, you just come along to registration at the event, pay for your run and pick up a timing brikke – there is no need to complete an entry slip. A map will be reserved for you up until 11.30 on Sunday.
Please note that this is not a full pre-entry. It’s entirely on a “no obligation” basis and no charge will be made if you cannot come to the event. No money is being taken in advance. This is simply a way of simplifying and speeding up the process of runner registration.
If you change your mind, and decide on the morning of the event to run a different course, that’s fine. Still come to registration, tell us what course you would like to run, and, if there is a map available, we will change your entry.
If something comes up and you cannot come to the event after all, that’s absolutely fine too. There is no need to email to let us know, and no apologies or explanations are necessary!
Registration, download, catering and toilets will all be in the Burnett Park Pavilion.
Contacts / Officials
Planners: Catriona Chapman and Ewan Musgrave
Controller: Sam Griffin
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
SPORTident timing will be used
Please note that a lost hire SI-Card will be charged for at a rate of £30, unless the Club Commitee agrees that there are special circumstances.
When entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.