Nearest town: Banchory
- Grid Ref: NO663910
- Postcode: AB31 6LP
- Lat/Lon: 57.00831,-2.55729
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS)
- Bing Map (OS)
Pre Event Info
Bogendreip is bounded on the West side by the Water of Dye, and has good runnable forest with a fairly steep hillside heading East towards Craig of Dalfro. There has been some recent clear felling, but there is still plenty of forest for some good orienteering. There is relatively little windblown and the courses are planned to avoid the worst of any fallen trees.
Directions / Parking
From Strachan Village turn onto the South road towards the Cairn O'Mount and continue for 1.2miles. The entrance to the forest car parking area is on the left side and will be marked with a kite and reflector. Registration at:- ///flats.acclaimed.cookies
Registration & Start Times
Registration in the forest car park from 5.30pm. Starts from 6.00pm.
Courses close at 8.30pm.
Map scale 1:10,000, 5m contours. Map updated for clearfelling and windblow in November 2023.
Long Course- 5.2 km, 200m climb.
Short Course- 3.2 km, 175m climb.
Controls enabled for SIAC.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Entry on the night.
Cash payment only, please, as there is no mobile signal available for the card machine.
£5 for seniors, £2.50 for juniors and students. £1 dibber hire.
Contacts / Officials
Organiser/Planner: Alan Bennett
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Participants in orienteering should be aware of the risk of tick bites - more information here.
SPORTident timing will be used
Please note that a lost hire SI-Card will be charged for at a rate of £30, unless the Club Commitee agrees that there are special circumstances.
When entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.