Nearest town: Banchory
- Grid Ref: NO 584 993
- Lat/Lon: 57.08246,-2.68554
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS)
- Bing Map (OS)
Pre Event Info
Directions / Parking
Registration will be at NO 584 993 – turn off B993 at Hunter’s Lodge (NO 602 975), pass the end of the tarmac road and continue along the track for about 500m. Registration will be at a blue VW campervan.
Parking on the track near registration.
Registration & Start Times
Registration from 17:45 - 19:00 (if all goes to plan, hope to be ready shortly after 17:30 but please be patient if a bit after)
Courses close 20:30
Long 5.3k with 12 controls
Short 3.6k with 10 controls
Each courses has 3 crossing points. The leg each crossing point is on has a dog-leg to the crossing point. Please use these crossings, so as not to cross certain fences, which i have highlighted with magenta lines on the map – you will be significantly slower if you do not follow the dog leg and risk a high uncrossable fence! A map showing the crossing points will be available at registration.
Plan to have maps at the start with loose controls available at registration.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Contacts / Officials
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
SPORTident timing will be used
Please note that a lost hire SI-Card will be charged for at a rate of £30, unless the Club Commitee agrees that there are special circumstances.
When entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.