Nearest town: Strachan
- Grid Ref: NO662910
- Lat/Lon: 57.008651,-2.547227
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS)
- Bing Map (OS)
Pre Event Info
Directions / Parking
Parking is on a forest track at Bridge of Bogendreip NO662910 and will be signposted from the B974 2 km from Strachan towards Fettercairn. Drivers will be directed to a turning area and then will be requested to park facing downhill. The forest road has been washed out in several places due to recent bad weather, so do take care. Please car share if possible.
Maximum distance from the turn off from the B974 to parking is 1km
Maximum distance from parking to Registration/Download is 1km
Distance from Registration to Start is 200m
Distance from Finish to Download is 200m
Registration & Start Times
Registration: 10:30 to 12:30
Starts: 11:00 to 13:00
Courses Close: 14:30
WHITE: 1.5km 25m climb
YELLOW: 2.1km 40m climb (Some taping between controls and earth banks with some tapes)
ORANGE 2.5km 40m Climb
LT GREEN 3.8km 60m Climb
GREEN 4.5km 125m climb
BLUE 6.6km 155 m Climb
BROWN 8.7km 225m Climb
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Early Entry System will be in operation:
If you think you are probably coming to the event and have a fair idea of which course you would like to run, please email your name, BOF number and course to by 2pm on Saturday 16th May.
To help us filter the emails, please put EEE in the subject line for the email.
For those who send in an early email entry, you just come to registration at the event, pay for your run, and pick up a timing brikke. There is no need to complete an entry slip. A map will be reserved for you up until 12 noon on Sunday.
Please note that this is not a full pre-entry. There is no obligation, and no charge will be made if you cannot come to the event. If you change your mind on the day of the event and decide to run a different course that is fine. Simply come to registration and if there is a map available we will change your entry. There is no need to let us know if for some reason you cannot come to the event.
If you choose not to EEE, you can still register and enter in the standard way on Sunday morning.
Senior Non-BOF member £7
Senior BOF member £5, Junior BOF member £2.50
Please be aware of other forest users, and stay away from any timber stacks in the competition area.
Contacts / Officials
Planner: Fran Getliff
Organisers: Clare Pritchett, Martin Pritchett, Caz Dudley
Controller: Gareth Yardley
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Timing will be by EMIT brikke
Please note that lost brikkes will be charged for at £45 unless the Club Commitee agrees there are special circumstances.
When entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.