Nearest town: Aboyne
- Grid Ref: NO520985
- Postcode: AB34 5JN
- Lat/Lon: 57.07488,-2.79353
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS)
- Bing Map (OS)
Pre Event Info
Directions / Parking
The event centre for registration and parking will be Aboyne Community Centre, Bridgeview Rd, AB34 5JN. Parking will be in the public car park attached or in the surrounding area. Registration will be up the stairs on the right as you enter the centre.
Registration & Start Times
Please could all competitors register here before going to the start and for download even if you don't finish your course.
Registration opens at 10.30am
Starts from 11am to 1pm
Course closes at 2.30pm
The walk to the start is 1.5km mostly on pavement and good track. There will be a marshall at the crossing on the south Deeside road.
Waterproofs and whistle may be compulsory depending on the weather. Please be aware of other forest users, especially mtbs if you are crossing a mtb trail.
Full set of Colour Coded Courses available:
- Brown: 7.0km 360m climb
- Blue: 5.6km 285m climb
- Green: 3.4km 160m climb
- Light Green: 2.7km 70m climb
- Orange: 2.6km 80m climb
- Yellow: 2.1km 70m climb
- White: 1.4km 20m climb
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Pre entry has now closed but entry on the day is subject to a map being available. Contact the organiser to reserve a map
Entry £7 for Senior £3.50 for junior and student. £1.50 for SI hire
There are no allocated start times and a punching start will be in operation
Registration and Download will be upstairs in Aboyne Academy, entry by Main Entrance. Please no muddy shoes. Toilets and limited indoor space will be available. It will be approximately a 15 minute walk to the start and back from the finish. There will be a marshal at the crossing of the South Deeside Road.
Contacts / Officials
Planner: Jonas Newey (MAROC)
Organiser: Bob Sheridan (MAROC)
Controller: Gareth Yardley (GRAMP)
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Participants in orienteering should be aware of the risk of tick bites - more information here.
SPORTident timing will be used
Please note that a lost hire SI-Card will be charged for at a rate of £30, unless the Club Commitee agrees that there are special circumstances.
When entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.