Nearest town: Aboyne
- Grid Ref:
- Lat/Lon: 57.05782,-2.78048
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS)
- Bing Map (OS)
Pre Event Info
Directions / Parking
Registration and download will be in the upstairs canteen area at Deeside Community Centre, Bridgeview Road, Aboyne. Please remove muddy footwear before entering the building. Parking is available in the community centre car park.
The community centre is 2.2km from the start and 1.9km from the finish, so please take this into account when planning your starting time. There may be limited roadside parking at the south end of Bridgeview road near the junction with the South Deeside Road, (1km from the start), which may be useful for those with younger children who wish to reduce the long walk in. Please park considerately and on one side of the road only if you do this. It is essential that everyone reports back to download at the community centre (even if they do not finish their course).
The route to and from the start/finish involves a crossing of the South Deeside Road, which will be marshalled, but please take care here and also at the minor residential street crossings along Bridgeview Road (which will not be marshalled).
Registration & Start Times
Registration Times: 10.00 - 11.30
Start Times: 10:30 – 12.00
Courses Close at: 14:00
orange/light green 3.2km
Each course is designed to be the technical difficulty of the higher tier course (the colour on the right) but achievable by people used to doing the lower tier course (colour on the left). If you are not confident that you can complete both of the colour coded courses on the specification for that course it is recommended that you either do an easier course or are shadowed by a more experienced orienteer.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Entry Fees: Senior £5.00 (£7.00 for non BOF/SOA members), Seniors running Light Green & below £2.50, Juniors £2.50.
Early Entry System (guarantee a map and avoid the queue!)
To guarantee a map until 12 noon, if you think you are coming to the event, please email your name, BOF number (if applicable) and course to by 12 noon on Saturday 9th December. Please put EEE in the subject line for the email filter.
For those who send in an early email entry, there is no need to complete an entry slip at registration. Just go to the Early Entry desk, pay for your run, and pick up a timing brikke.
Please note that this is not a full pre-entry. There is no obligation, and no charge will be made if you cannot come along.
If you decide to run a different course on the day that’s fine. Simply come to registration and as long as there’s map available we will change your entry.
There’s no need to let us know if you can’t make it.
If you choose not to EEE, you can still register and enter in the standard way at the event.
Punch Type: Emit
Contacts / Officials
Planner: Alistair Chapman
Organiser: Paul Chapman
Controller: Craig Chapman
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Timing will be by EMIT brikke
Please note that lost brikkes will be charged for at £45 unless the Club Commitee agrees there are special circumstances.
When entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.