Nearest town: Banchory
- Grid Ref:
- Postcode: AB31 4BD
- Lat/Lon: 57.06410,-2.65043
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS)
- Bing Map (OS)
Pre Event Info
This week the Deeside Night Cup continues with Potarch – a wooded hill and area of mature plantation with very varied vegetation. Most of the undergrowth has now died back but there are extensive areas of dead bracken. The Map is at 1:10000 scale with 5m contour interval. Parking will be at Potarch Green.
Carrying a spare torch is mandatory. You are advised to also carry a whistle, additional warm clothing, and a mobile phone. Full body cover is also mandatory.
Check here and on the DNC Blog website for updates to locations and event details etc. before travelling.
Directions / Parking
Parking is at Potarch Green AB31 4BD.
THE CAR PARK IS LIKELY TO BE VERY ICY SO PLEASE TAKE THE APPROPRIATE LEVEL OF CARE BOTH IN THE CAR AND ON FOOT
The Organiser will be near his vehicle close to the recycling area and which will be clearly marked with reflectors.
Registration & Start Times
Registration 17:45 – 19:00
Please arrive at registration within the block of time detailed against your name in the sheets emailed out in advance. This is your registration time not your start time.
Hire SI-Cards will be in named envelopes with the maps close to organiser’s vehicle. Please use sanitiser on ungloved hands before picking up maps etc.
All competitors should make their way from here to the start. Contactless punching is not activated for this event.
The Start is about 600m, flat walk. Allow 10 minutes walking. Follow the reflectors. You must take care to punch the clear station and then the start. Failure to do either will mean you will not be timed properly. Please start at appropriately distanced intervals from others on your course.
Strict covid etiquette must be maintained at all times.
A download unit will be back with the organiser. You must punch this unit after you finish and ensure the organiser knows that you have completed your run.
Courses close 20:30. You must return to the registration point by this time.
Long: 5.2km - 160m climb - 15 controls
Short: 3.3km - 125m climb - 12 controls
Both courses are TD5 level. If you’re not yet TD5 (Green) standard then please find someone to run with the first couple of times so you can pick up tips on night O navigation strategy.
Please use the fence crossing points as shown on the map.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Pre-entry only by 10pm Monday 28th December using Potarch 30th Dec DNC event & Covid-19 form. One form per person please. No entry on the night.
Your registration time slot will be emailed to you the day before the event.
Seniors £5, Juniors and full time Students £2.50 (to be invoiced at the end of the Series).
Contacts / Officials
Planner / organiser: Roger Coombs
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Participants in orienteering should be aware of the risk of tick bites - more information here.
SPORTident timing will be used
Please note that a lost hire SI-Card will be charged for at a rate of £30, unless the Club Commitee agrees that there are special circumstances.
When entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.