Nearest town: Braemar
- Grid Ref: NO 145910
- Postcode: AB35 5WP
- Lat/Lon: 57.00123,-3.41605
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS)
- Bing Map (OS)
Pre Event Info
Morrone Birkwood is a beautiful area of heathland, juniper and birch woodland. There are no major crags and water courses are small. This area was last used for the Jamie Stephenson Trophy in June 2018 but has been extended in 2022 by Deeside Orienteering and Leisure Maps to the area of detailed coniferous plantation to the west.
Directions / Parking
Braemar is served by the Stagecoach 201 service from Aberdeen.
On Sunday 28th August, buses from Aberdeen are scheduled to arrive at 10:13 and 12:13; leaving at 12:38, 14:38 and 16:38. The Deeside Dayrider ticket covers Banchory to Braemar at £9.50 return but the journey is free for under 22 and over 60 with a Scottish bus pass.
Travel directions: Car park grid reference: NO 145 910. The nearest postcode is AB35 5WP
From the A93, in the centre of Braemar, turn west onto Mar road signed for Linn of Dee. Continue until the roundabout, take the left turn and continue up Chapel Brae. After 500m, turn left onto Broombank Terrace. Car parking and Assembly is on the right-hand side of the road, just past the buildings.
Car parking: is on a level(ish) hard-standing area suitable for cars and vans.
Additional parking is also available slightly further up Chapel Brae at the Duck pond (with 2m height restriction) which is approximately 200 metres from assembly. However, space is limited at both parking areas so please share lifts where possible. If the car parking fills up it may be necessary to park at one of the car parks in the centre of the village and walk up (c.1km to assembly).
Please remember that the general public may also be using the car parks.
Registration & Start Times
Entry on the Day.
Start Times: 11.00 to 13.00
Courses Close: 15.00
Brown: 8.2km, 335m
Blue: 7.0km, 225m
Green: 4.9km, 170m
Light Green: 3.7km, 70m
Orange: 2.9km, 70m
Yellow: 2.4km, 55m
Yellow Course maps can be collected at Registration.
SIAC contactless punching will be enabled for all controls but not the Start and Finish.
Walk to Start: 450m
To protect the Juniper at the event from the ‘Phytopthora austrocedrae’ disease, all Juniper bushes are Out Of Bounds, please avoid them. Plus, can everyone participating please spray their footwear before running with disinfectant. There will be disinfectant sprays available for this.
In addition, no fences should be climbed over at any point. Please use the crossing points as marked on the map
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
£6 for adults and £3 for Juniors/Students/adults on orange course or below, and £1
for a hired dibber.
Please bring cash.
Nearest toilets signposted in the centre of Braemar.
Dogs welcome (on leads please) in and about the Assembly area only.
Contacts / Officials
Planner: Chloe Cracknell
Organisers: Paul Mather / Paul Chapman
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Participants in orienteering should be aware of the risk of tick bites - more information here.
SPORTident timing will be used
Please note that a lost hire SI-Card will be charged for at a rate of £30, unless the Club Commitee agrees that there are special circumstances.
When entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.