Nearest town: Banchory
- Grid Ref:
- Postcode: AB31 5HU
- Lat/Lon: 57.05656,-2.52220
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS)
- Bing Map (OS)
Pre Event Info
Starts/Registration 17:50 – 19:00
Courses Close 20:00
Map is at 1:10000 scale with 5m contour interval.
Carrying a spare torch is mandatory. You are advised to also carry a whistle, additional warm clothing, and a mobile phone. Full body cover is also mandatory.
Check here and on the DNC Blog website for updates to locations and event details etc. before travelling.
Directions / Parking
Car parking is at the Burnett Park, Banchory, AB31 5HU
what3words: denote.horses.slurping (car park)
Registration will be outside the Pavilion on the north side of the cricket pitch.
Registration & Start Times
Registration 17:40 – 19:00
Please arrive at registration with enough time to pay for entry and make your way to the start (c. 5 minutes away) in time for your allocated start block.
Hire SI-Cards will be in named envelopes with the maps close to organiser’s vehicle. Please use sanitiser on ungloved hands before picking up maps etc.
All competitors should make their way from here to the start
The Start is about 400m, flat walk. Allow 5 minutes walking. Follow the reflectors. You must take care to punch the clear station and then the start. Failure to do either will mean you will not be timed properly. Please start at appropriately distanced intervals from others on your course. The finish is near the hospital and there is a 750m downhill walk back to download.
A download unit will be back with the organiser. You must punch this unit after you finish and ensure the organiser knows that you have completed your run.
Courses close 20:00. You must return to the registration point by this time.
Long: 5.2km - 15 controls
Short: 3.3km - 10 controls
Both courses are TD5 level. If you’re not yet TD5 (Green) standard then please find someone to run with the first couple of times so you can pick up tips on night O navigation strategy.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Pre-entry only by 10pm Monday 1st November using Glen O’Dee 3 Nov DNC event & Covid-19 form. One form per person please. No entry on the night.
Your registration time slot will be emailed to you the day before the event.
Seniors £5, Juniors and full time Students £2.50. Payment by card (preferred) or cash (exact amount please). In the event that the card reader does not work, online payment invoices can be sent after the event.
Contacts / Officials
Planner: Catriona Chapman
Organiser: Paul Chapman
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Participants in orienteering should be aware of the risk of tick bites - more information here.
SPORTident timing will be used
Please note that a lost hire SI-Card will be charged for at a rate of £30, unless the Club Commitee agrees that there are special circumstances.
When entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.