Nearest town: Banchory
- Grid Ref:
- Lat/Lon: 57.05722,-2.52096
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS)
- Bing Map (OS)
Pre Event Info
Directions / Parking
Parking is in Burnett Park in Banchory, with registration and download at the pavilion on the north side of the cricket pitch. Burnett Park is accessed from the A93 at the western edge of Banchory: take the minor road signposted to Glassel, Torphins, Lumphanan and Inchmarlo Golf Course and the entrance to the park is at the junction on the right 100 metres up this road. Please park tidily so that everyone can fit in.
Registration & Start Times
Registration from 10.30, and starts from 11.00 - 12.30.
Courses close at 14.30.
White 1.5km 10m climb (8 controls)
Yellow 2.1km 15m climb (9 controls)
Orange 3.2 km 50m climb (11 controls)
Light Green 3.9km 85m climb (12 controls)
Green 4.6km 90m climb (12 controls)
Blue 6.3km 130m climb (13 controls)
Brown 8.9km 170m climb (22 controls)
Registration/download is about 750 metres from the start and 130 metres from the finish. Please ensure that you report back to download, even if you do not complete your course, so that we know you are back safely.
This event is taking place in accordance with the Scottish Outdoor Access Code. The woods at Glen o’ Dee are well used by the public and you may well encounter non-orienteers out walking, cycling or riding along the paths and tracks. Please act courteously and responsibly to other forest users and take care not to obstruct paths, particularly at the start and finish.
Part of the walk from registration to the start follows Corsee Road up to Glen o’ Dee hospital. There may also be route choice options along roads on the Brown, Blue and Green courses. These are all quiet roads, but please take care and watch out for traffic.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Event fees: £6.00 adult (Light Green and above) £3.00 junior and adults running Orange or below.
EEE entry is available:
If you think that you are probably coming to the event, and have a fair idea of which course you would like to run, please email your name, BOF number, and course to: , by 12 noon on Saturday 4th January.
To help us filter the emails, please include EEE in the subject line of the email.
If you have sent in an early email entry, just come along to registration at the event, pay for your run and pick up a timing brikke – there is no need to complete an entry slip. A map will be reserved for you up until 11.30 on Sunday.
Please note that this is not a full pre-entry. It’s entirely on a “no obligation” basis and no charge will be made if you cannot come to the event. No money is being taken in advance. This is simply a way of simplifying and speeding up the process of runner registration.
If you change your mind, and decide on the morning of the event to run a different course, that’s fine. Still come to registration, tell us what course you would like to run, and, if there is a map available, we will change your entry.
If something comes up and you cannot come to the event after all, that’s absolutely fine too. There is no need to email to let us know, and no apologies or explanations are necessary!
Registration, download, catering and toilets will all be in the Burnett Park Pavilion.
Contacts / Officials
Planner: Paul Chapman
Controller: Pete Lawrence (GRAMP)
Organisers: Sue Barrie
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
SPORTident timing will be used
Please note that a lost hire SI-Card will be charged for at a rate of £30, unless the Club Commitee agrees that there are special circumstances.
When entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.