Nearest town: Alford
- Grid Ref: NJ581166
- Postcode: AB33 8NA
- Lat/Lon: 57.23825,-2.69904
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS)
- Bing Map (OS)
Pre Event Info
Carrying a spare light source is mandatory. You are advised to also carry a whistle, additional warm clothing and a mobile phone.
Check here and on the DNC Blog website for updates to locations and event details etc. before travelling.
If you’re not yet TD5 (Green) standard then please find someone to run with the first couple of times so you can pick up tips on Night O navigation strategy.
Directions / Parking
Haughton Country Park is accessed from the unclassified road heading north from Alford High Street. Be sure to turn right at the signpost marked “Haughton Park” and not at the earlier turnings which are just residential streets. Follow the park road 400m before turning right into the large car park. The map and hire SI-Card pick-up point is in the car park and the start is next to the toilet block.
Registration & Start Times
Starts from 18.00 to 19.00
Courses close at 20.30
All competitors must punch the ‘Clear’ and ‘Start’ units (in that order!). Contactless punching will hopefully be activated for this event but make sure your dibber bleeps if using contactless. Map scale will be 1:5000
A Download unit will be hanging on organisers car. You must punch this unit after you finish and ensure the organiser knows that you have completed your run
Long: 5.2km, negligible climb
Short: 3.4km negligible climb
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Entry on the night only. A nice gentle start to the 2023/24 DNC season. Mostly flat and remember map scale is 1:5000 so controls will/should appear very quickly!
Seniors £5, Juniors and full time Students £2.50 (cash please as my phone can’t handle the card payment app).
Contacts / Officials
Organiser/Planner: Drew Tivendale
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Participants in orienteering should be aware of the risk of tick bites - more information here.
SPORTident timing will be used
Please note that a lost hire SI-Card will be charged for at a rate of £30, unless the Club Commitee agrees that there are special circumstances.
When entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.