Nearest town: Aboyne
- Grid Ref: NO525977
- Postcode: AB34 5ER
- Lat/Lon: 57.06770,-2.78438
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS)
- Bing Map (OS)
Pre Event Info
Common Guide for DNC runners here.
Directions / Parking
Aboyne Bridge is closed to vehicular traffic but still available for pedestrians and cyclists. There is limited parking on the south side of the bridge, but it is unlikely to accommodate everyone. Hence if you are traveling from the north side please park on Charlestown Road in Aboyne and walk over the bridge to registration on the south side.
Registration & Start Times
On the south side of Aboyne Bridge
It’s 0.8km to the start, 1km back from the finish
Registration and starts are from 5:30pm, courses close at 8pm.
Long 4.8km 270m
Short 3.0km 250m
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
£5 / £2.50
Contacts / Officials
Organiser/Planner: Eilidh Campbell
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Participants in orienteering should be aware of the risk of tick bites - more information here.
SPORTident timing will be used
Please note that a lost hire SI-Card will be charged for at a rate of £30, unless the Club Commitee agrees that there are special circumstances.
When entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.