Nearest town: Banchory
- Grid Ref: NO697956
- Postcode: AB31 5HT
- Lat/Lon: 57.05052,-2.50075
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS)
- Bing Map (OS)
Pre Event Info
Common Guide for DNC runners here.
Our next DNC event will be a mainly urban affair in Banchory. Navigation not too challenging so suitable for the less experienced. However, there will be plenty of route choice to keep you on your toes.
Directions / Parking
Parking will be at the Bellfield car park with registration at the eastern end nearest the skate park.
What3words: patio.swaps.skim (roughly!).
Registration & Start Times
Registration from 6 til 7pm. Courses close at 8pm
Once registered follow reflectors east for around 500m along a path to the start. Finish is near registration.
Long - 3.9k straight line, ~6k optimum, 24 controls
Short - 2.4k straight line, ~3.8k optimum, 16 controls
Map scale is 1:4000.
One Raemoir Road's worth of ascent on both, slightly more on the long. The short course stays on tarmac, while the long has a couple of controls in the woods, trail shoes may be advisable if things are very wet.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Cash payment is preferred, but card hopefully accepted:
£5 for seniors, £2.50 for juniors and students. £1 dibber hire.
Both courses cross busy roads (and not so busy roads!) so please take care, but the courses have been planned so that traffic lights are nearby for crossing the A93 and B974. Any under 16s running either course must be accompanied by an adult.
Contacts / Officials
Planner Adam Barrie
Organiser Sue Barrie
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Participants in orienteering should be aware of the risk of tick bites - more information here.
SPORTident timing will be used
Please note that a lost hire SI-Card will be charged for at a rate of £30, unless the Club Commitee agrees that there are special circumstances.
When entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.