Nearest town: Aboyne
- Grid Ref:
- Postcode: AB34 5JN
- Lat/Lon: 57.07482,-2.79372
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS)
- Bing Map (OS)
Pre Event Info
Directions / Parking
Parking is at Aboyne Community Centre. Additional parking should be available for those running the White and Yellow (and maybe Orange) courses, as it is a fairly long walk to/from the start/finish. The route to the start/finish is ideal for bike (mountain, cross or hybrid) as it is along the Tarland Way.
Registration & Start Times
White and Yellow start is 2.7km from registration (and 1.2km from additional parking location), with the finish being 3.3km from registration (and 1.8km from the additional parking location).
Other start is a similar distance from registration – runners are welcome to bike to the additional parking location and leave bikes there.
White (easy - beginner) 1.6km / 55m climb
Yellow (easy – beginner) 2.4 / 40m climb
Orange (intermediate) 3.1km / 125m climb
Light Green (short technical) 3.0km / 100m climb
Green (short technical) 3.4km / 160m climb
Blue (longer technical) 5.8km / 205m climb
Brown (long technical) 7.8km / 270m climb
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Adults £5, Juniors £2.50.
Seniors running Light Green & below £2.50.
EEE entry is available:
If you think that you are probably coming to the event, and have a fair idea of which course you would like to run, please email your name, BOF number, and course to: , by 4pm on Saturday 27th April.
To help us filter the emails, please include EEE in the subject line of the email.
For those who send in an early email entry, you just come along to registration at the event, pay for your run and pick up a timing brikke – there is no need to complete an entry slip. A map will be reserved for you up until 11.30 on Sunday.
Please note that this is not a full pre-entry. It’s entirely on a “no obligation” basis and no charge will be made if you cannot come to the event. No money is being taken in advance. This is simply a way of simplifying and speeding up the process of runner registration.
If you change your mind, and decide on the morning of the event to run a different course, that’s fine. Still come to registration, tell us what course you would like to run, and, if there is a map available, we will change your entry.
If something comes up and you cannot come to the event after all, that’s absolutely fine too. There is no need to email to let us know, and no apologies or explanations are necessary!
To be advised shortly.
Contacts / Officials
Organiser: Andrew McMurtrie
Planner: Genevieve Jones
Controller: Ian Hamilton
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Participants in orienteering should be aware of the risk of tick bites - more information here.
SPORTident timing will be used
Please note that a lost hire SI-Card will be charged for at a rate of £30, unless the Club Commitee agrees that there are special circumstances.
When entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.