Nearest town: Aboyne
- Grid Ref: NO587950
- Postcode: AB34 5EA
- Lat/Lon: 57.04390,-2.68316
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS)
- Bing Map (OS)
Pre Event Info
The event is organized on the west part of the Corsedarder map, the courses are along the whole length in the woods. The area isn’t much affected by the storms, there are fallen trees only on a small part of the forest. Visibility is still quite good, on the Green course there are new tracks because of recent forestry work.
Directions / Parking
Parking for the event will be along the Corsedarder track, which runs northeast off the B976. There will be Orienteering signs at the entrance to the track. Please drive along until you see a parking marshal.
If you are coming from the Aboyne side, this is to your left just after the field with the mast.
If you are coming from Finzean, this is to your right, just before the field with the mast.
The track is very uneven and rutted, and parking will be off the sides of the track. Ballogie Estate have kindly given us permission to use the track for parking, but have emphasised that access and parking is undertaken at the driver's risk and that access must be maintained.
There will be a one-way system in place, with entries until 12.30 and exits from 12.30 only.
There is only limited parking, and no space for campervans.
Please consider car sharing or parking elsewhere and cycling or walking.
The Finish and Registration will be 500 m to northeast on the track from the track entry, marked by tapes.
All competitors must register at the Registration before going to the start and must visit Download even if you don't finish your course.
Grid Ref: NO 58644 94959
Postcode: AB34 5EA
Lat/Lon: 57.043876, -2.683260
What3words: Parking: hires.arrow.trending
Registration & Start Times
Registration opens at 10.30am
Starts from 11am to 1pm
Course closes at 2.30pm
The walk to the Start is 300 m from Registration, between the Finish and the parking place, 50 m south from the track, on a small path.
Waterproofs and whistle may be compulsory depending on the weather. Please be aware of other forest users, especially horse riders.
Green 4.3 km / 190 m
Orange 3.1 km / 135 m
White 1.8 km / 40 m
Map 1:10,000 (Deeside Orienteering and Leisure Maps) 2018 with minor updates in 2022
Control descriptions will be printed on the map and available loose at registration
The courses are largely unaffected by storm damage, but on the Green course there are many forestry vehicle tracks in the first third of the course that aren’t marked on the map.
SPORTident timing will be used. Please note a lost SI card will be charged at £30 unless the club agrees on special circumstances.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Entry £5 for Senior and £2.50 for junior and student.
£1 for SI hire.
There are no allocated start times and a punching start will be in operation.
Nearest Public Toilets are in Banchory and Aboyne.
Dogs should be controlled on a leash.
Contacts / Officials
Planner: Gabor Szeles
Organiser: Katja Neumann
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Participants in orienteering should be aware of the risk of tick bites - more information here.
SPORTident timing will be used
Please note that a lost hire SI-Card will be charged for at a rate of £30, unless the Club Commitee agrees that there are special circumstances.
When entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.