Nearest town: Ballater
- Grid Ref: NO40698
- Postcode: AB35 5SD
- Lat/Lon: 57.06991,-2.98189
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS)
- Bing Map (OS)
Pre Event Info
- Please ensure that you have read and adhere to the BOF Code of conduct for events. https://www.britishorienteering.org.uk/COVID19_Safe_Orienteering
- Do not attend the event if you are showing any Covid symptoms, are required to self-isolate or you have been asked to quarantine.
- Please ensure that you observe the 2m social distancing rule at all times including; before and after the event, walking to/from starts and finishes, at download and with members of the public, and do not congregate in groups with others (unless part of your own household/transport group).
- If you encounter a member of the public on a narrow trail you must adhere to the 2m rule by leaving the trail as you pass them keeping 2m distance at all times.
- Remember that whilst competing the 2m separation rule takes precedence over a second or two on your time. So if someone is punching ahead of you please wait until they have moved away.
- Whilst competing try to minimise hand contact with SI boxes, fences and gateposts.
- Hand sanitiser will be provided at the start and at download.
We encourage you not to linger. Please arrive, have your run, download and then
Competitors will be allocated a start time which must be adhered to in order to keep people separate and will go direct to the start.
SI-Cards may be hired via the online entry system.
Please ensure that you avoid contact with others by not gathering in groups at either the car park, start, finish or download. Competitors are encouraged to arrive just in time for their run and then leave after download in order minimise contact with others.
PLEASE DO NOT ATTEND THE EVENT IF YOU ARE SHOWING SYMPTOMS OF COVID-19, ARE SELF-ISOLATING OR ARE IN QUARANTINE.
Directions / Parking
Parking will be available in the public forestry car park. Please share transport and
park sensibly to maximise the space available and remember that there will be other
forest users and dog walkers around. Note that we are unable to look after your car
keys during your run. The overflow car parking area near the road is primarily
allocated to EUOC. Please only park there if you have a large vehicle and/or are
unable to find a bay in the main forestry car park.
Registration & Start Times
A start list with your start time will be published separately on the event website
before the day of the event and will also be shown on the Fabian4 site. Start times
are between 11am and 1pm and courses close at 3pm. Due to Covid restrictions
there is no Registration tent at this event. The start is located close to the car park
(see map in PDF version of this info). There will be no Entry on the Day.
Please do not leave the car park to go to the start any earlier than 10 minutes
before your allocated start time.
There will be 2 start lanes (one for White, Orange and Light Green courses
combined and one for the Blue course). There will be -3, -2 and -1 minute
countdown boxes, all sized to allow 2m distancing. To ensure proper social
distancing everyone must adhere to their allocated start time.
Maps for all courses are to be picked-up after you have started. The control
descriptions are printed on the maps and no loose descriptions will be provided, but
if you wish to print out your own a pdf copy will be available on the event website.
The map scale is 1:10,000 for Blue and 1:7,500 for all other courses.
This will be Maroc’s first event using their new SI Timing equipment. Contactless
punching will be enabled so you can either use the normal SI-card or a SIAC
contactless card for punching. All Cards must punch (dib) the Start and Finish.
There will be no split results handed out at download due to Covid restrictions
however we are aiming to publish live results at the link below if mobile reception
White: 1.3km, 30m climb, 8 controls
Orange: 2.7km, 100m climb, 12 controls
Light Green: 3.2km, 100m climb 10 controls
Blue 6.2km: 200m climb, 16 controls
The Blue and Light Green courses go close to some larger crags and it is
recommended that any younger or inexperienced children are shadowed.
The Finish is close to the Car Park. Download will be adjacent and we ask that you
do not visit or remain in this area unnecessarily.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Entry Fees: Adult £5, Junior £2.50
There are no toilets at the event. The nearest public toilets are in Aboyne and
Contacts / Officials
Planner: Ranolph Whitehead (assisted by Sarah Dunn)
Organiser: Chris Low
SI and Download Leader: Matthew Gooch
COVID-19 officer: Trevor Ricketts
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Participants in orienteering should be aware of the risk of tick bites - more information here.
SPORTident timing will be used
Please note that a lost hire SI-Card will be charged for at a rate of £30, unless the Club Commitee agrees that there are special circumstances.
When entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.