Nearest town: Aboyne
- Grid Ref: NO 525978
- Postcode: AB34 5EL
- Lat/Lon: 57.06894,-2.78549
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS)
- Bing Map (OS)
Pre Event Info
The Deeside Night Cup continues with Birsemore Hill. Wonderfully technical and quite physical. One of our very best areas on Deeside. Map is at 1:7500 scale with 5m contour interval.
Carrying a spare torch is mandatory. You are advised to also carry a whistle, additional warm clothing and a mobile phone.
Check here and on the DNC Blog website for updates to locations and event details etc. before travelling.
If you’re not yet TD5 (Green) standard then please find someone to run with the first couple of times so you can pick up tips on Night O navigation strategy.
Directions / Parking
Parking is between Aboyne Bridge and the south end of Bridgeview Road. Careful not to block traffic. Consider parking on Huntly Road close to the Boat Inn if the bridge area looks crowded. Follow the A93 west from Aberdeen to Aboyne then simply turn left at Huntly Road junction or at the Tarland crossroads and this will take you south towards Aboyne bridge. Organiser will be in/near his vehicle near end of the bridge next to the post box.
The start and finish are 900m up the track which leads southwards from the bridge towards Birsemore Hill. Allow 10 minutes brisk walking. Follow the reflectors. Anyone needing a dibber will collect it at registration. Strict Covid etiquette must be maintained.
Registration & Start Times
Starts from 17.50 to 19.00
Courses close at 20.30
Your start time slot will be emailed to you the day before the event.
Hire SI-Cards will be in named envelopes with the maps close to organiser’s vehicle on the bridge. All competitors must punch the ‘Clear’ station here before making their way to the start. Contactless punching is not activated for this event.
Please arrive at the start during your allocated start slot and maintain social distancing guidelines at all times.
A Download unit will be back with the organiser on Aboyne Bridge. You must punch this unit after you finish and ensure the organiser knows that you have completed your run.
Long: 4.5km, controls 14, climb….lots
Short: 2.8km, controls 10, climb….not quite so much
Full on physical and technical TD5 level on the intricate contour and rock detail of Birsemore Hill.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Pre-entry only by 10pm Monday 30th November using Google form https://forms.gle/GMWsWC3rDELGGrSK7. One form per person please. No entry on the night.
Seniors £5, Juniors and full time Students £2.50 (to be invoiced at the end of the Series).
Contacts / Officials
Planner/Organiser: Drew Tivendale
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Participants in orienteering should be aware of the risk of tick bites - more information here.
SPORTident timing will be used
Please note that a lost hire SI-Card will be charged for at a rate of £30, unless the Club Commitee agrees that there are special circumstances.
When entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.