Nearest town: Banchory
- Grid Ref: NO 710965
- Postcode: AB31 5ZT
- Lat/Lon: 57.05825,-2.47989
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS)
- Bing Map (OS)
Pre Event Info
Directions / Parking
The event will be based at Hill of Banchory Primary School.
GR: NO 710965
Public Transport: Bus from Aberdeen, Stagecoach service 201, every hour on the hour.
Registration & Start Times
Start times in 15 min blocks between 11:00 – 12:30
Courses close at 02:30
All competitors must report to finish and download even if they do not complete their course.
Original published course lengths were straight line distances. Both straight line distance and approximate running distance is included below which may vary depending on route choice.
All maps will be A3 format but competitors on courses 1, 2 and 3 must note that the map is double sided and includes both landscape and portrait formats. This will involve starting on landscape format, turning over to the portrait format mid-course, then turning back to landscape format for the latter sections of courses.
|Category||Course||Distance (km)||Controls||Climb||Map format|
|MO||1||7.1 / 10.1||26||265||A3 double sided (L&P)|
|MV, WO||2||6.7 / 9.4||25||240||A3 double sided (L&P)|
|MSV, WV||3||4.7 / 7.3||17||155||A3 double sided (L&P)|
|MUV, WSV||4||3.9 / 5.9||14||110||A3 Landscape|
|MHV, WUV, WHV||5||3.7 / 5.4||16||95||A3 Landscape|
|MJ, WJ||6||3.6 / 5.0||14||70||A3 landscape|
|MYJ, WYJ||7||2.3 / 3.5||11||70||A3 Landscape|
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Entries open on https://www.fabian4.co.uk/default.aspx?EventID=3125
Limited entry on the day, depending on map availability:
Toilets in Banchory Town Centre at Bellfield Car Park & at Banchory Sports Village.
There will be no toilets at Registration
Contacts / Officials
Planner: Drew Tivendale
Organiser: Andy Tivendale ()
Controller: Donald Grassie
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Participants in orienteering should be aware of the risk of tick bites - more information here.
SPORTident timing will be used
Please note that a lost hire SI-Card will be charged for at a rate of £30, unless the Club Commitee agrees that there are special circumstances.
When entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.